I’m Jake, a ceramics artist based in Porthleven, Cornwall. My work is shaped and inspired by the natural beauty of the place I live, as well as my interest in spiritual teachings of Eastern philosophy. My journey to ceramics began in the back garden, playing with clay as a child. I was encouraged by my artist parents to tinker, ponder and enjoy the process of making.
Before I came to focus on clay, I gained a PhD at the University of Exeter and taught geography and science. Teaching took me to remote places, and allowed me to work with monks in a Tibetan Buddhist monastery in Kathmandu. All these experiences inspire my work I make today as I continue to explore issues of place, climate and spirituality through the medium of clay.
- Where the Path Leads Summer House Gallery September 2018
- Far West Summer House Gallery June 2018
- See Shells and Climate Change: an exploration of eastern and western perspectives University of Exeter March 2018
- Lecturer in ceramics Truro and Penwith College
- Throwing a cup on the potters wheel available through Air B and B experiences
“This was a brilliant experience. Jake was very patient and helped guide us through all the steps of throwing our pots on the potters wheel. The studio is cosy and we were surrounded by beautiful pottery. I can't wait till my fired cup arrives in the post.” Gavin and Zoe
There is an option to sign up for occasional newsletters, email addresses provided will only be used for news updates and will never be passed on to third parties.